Le Beurre de Cacahuete

I wasn't going to post on 9/11 though I have done in the past. I read in the WSJ yesterday - my sentiments exactly,
'Avoiding those memories is normal, said Yuval Neria, director of the Trauma and PTSD Program at the Columbia University Medical Center, who has researched trauma in New York since Sept. 11, 2001.
"Avoidance behaviors are perhaps the hallmark of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder," Dr. Neria said. "People are trying to avoid talking about the trauma, thinking about the trauma, being forcibly reminded by it…for some it can be a demonstration of how painful it is to be in a city that's still partially in mourning even after 10 years.""For some people, it can be a wonderful coping response," Dr. Neria said'.
Then I read of Nikie, the service dog at Ground Zero in the WSJ and I was moved. Ten years ago (OK don't fall of your chairs laughing!) I was an online daytrader. I even took trading classes in Building #2 at the WTT.
Ten years ago I was IMing(Instant Messaging) with Joanne in Detroit, a trading buddy, and she told me about what happened. First I called my photograper friend who lived near the towers - she was on her roof shooting. Then I raced up to my roof in Astoria and saw the first building go down. Like other New Yorkers I raced in town with canned goods (useless it turned out) to food centers for survivors. I became an online news junky (my TV wasn't working). I too was consumed with it and embedded in the smokey odour.
Gabriel Byrne's comment on WNYC captured exactly my experience for years, walking down 5th Avenue looking for something that wasn't there anymore.
"New York is haunted by the absence of the Trade Towers..because when you look at that skyline...the ghosts of those buildings are still there."


Tiffanys windows yesterday reminded me of...
Milton Glaser's iconic logo design...
 Hats for sale yesterday at Lee's Art Store.Go figure.
When words fail you make DIY peanut butter.
BONNE JOURNEE PB readers!

Search This Blog