Summer Essentials, Part II, Makeup!

This is the sequel to my Summer Essentials post, and in this I talk mostly about makeup/cosmetic products that are useful! I feel like this is much more my field. There are some great posts and videos out there about the joys of suncream, but I am much much much more of a makeup girl! This is bad, I know, haha. Enjoy!


Tinted Moisturiser.. Sort Of
As you can see, I don't really own a tinted moisturiser. I don't really get the point. Clinique's Dramatically Different Gel is the best thing since sliced bread - all I do is squirt a little bit on the back of my (sanitised) hand, mix with a bit of foundation and it's a blessing. You don't really want to be wearing a full face of heavy foundation when it's thirty degrees outside.


Waterproof Mascara
I hate waterproof mascara with a passion, as it dries out my lashes something shocking, but if you know for a fact you're going to be in and out of the water or near a pool or the sea, you're probably going to want to invest in this stuff. Just use it sparingly.


Bronzer
Since you'll definitely be using SPF (won't you?!), you'll want to make sure your face is nice and tanned. This is my favourite bronzer, because it's lovely and shimmery and a nice goldish-bronze colour. I love ones like this MAC Loose Mineralize powder with a nice wide sifter, so I can use a big 'ole brush and sweep it all over and down onto my chest and neck area too.


Bright Lipstick or Lipgloss
No-one wants to wear a lot of makeup in the summer, and that is that. There's sweating involved and your pores get clogged, and if you're on the beach you don't want to be worrying about smudged eyeliner or mascara.. right? Right. One of my favourite tricks when I'm reaaally lazy is to just throw on some concealer and a little bit of mascara, and then add a really bright lipstick such as Illamasqua's Mistress Lipgloss, shown here, and you're set.


Primer
Generally, I'm not really a big fan of primer. Some people swear by it. I got this one recently and I'm pretty much loving it. It's a weird formula - a mousse, but primer's generally help keep your makeup from sliding all over the place and staying put all day. However, I do sometimes feel like they can clog your pores and make your skin feel really heavy, so apply with a light hand, and because this one has a beige-ish colour to it, all I really need to do after apply is add a little bit of concealer and I'm pretty much good to go.


Blot Powder
I generally don't see many products as a "must-have". This is not one of those products. I love this product and recommend it to anyone who asks me about it. It is a summer-night-out staple, honest to God. Sweep this over your forehead, nose and cheeks, and you will be shine-free all evening. MAC do a Blot Powder, but my favourite one is the Urban Decay one. Firstly, look at that packaging, it's just awesome. I'm a sucker for pretty packaging, and I'll be honest, Urban Decay don't always pull it out the bag, they're a little hit and miss, in my opinion. This is a hit, hit, hit. Another thing is the colour: MAC's Blot Powders have a touch of colour to them, which may or may not be your thing. I always felt I looked a little cakey in it. This is a transluscent blot-powder. In the pan it looks white, with a hinttt of purple or blue to it, but when you put it on, it disappears into your skin.
I'll stop now with my mini-review.. haha.


Hand Sanitizer
This is sort of a summer essential, and really just an all the time essential, but I feel I use it most in the summer, where you might be eating outside or going into cities an sightseeing, or using public transport.. Hand sanitiser is just plain sanitary, and useful, and that's about it really.

Did you like this little departure from everyday blogging? What are your summer essentials..? I love all feedback!

Search This Blog