I Forgot 2 Shoot My Food...

Heading up to Maine on Sunday morning, I had at least 8 hours on the bus to think about lobster... Alison said, "I know a great place where the lobster rolls are only $6.95". Off we go in search of the cheapest lobster roll in the USA. An hour or so later after circling and circling the same route over and over, Alison says,
"I know it was here last year, just over this hill ..."
I beg her, "Can we ask somebody puleeze?
Can we stop in there and just ask?
No, they won't know" she responds.
I am ready to take a bite out of Alison's arm.
Finally Alison admits defeat.
We head back into Rockland and go to the local's hangout, The Rockland Cafe on Mechanic Street... Naturalment in my ravenous haste I forgot to shoot my seafood chowda' for you. I did remember to shoot the excellent ($12.95) very fresh (with not too much Mayo) lobster roll. Packed inside a Kaiser toasted bun by the way.
Petit dej' at the General Store used to be quite fab...
They had something called a 'breakfast pizza'. It sounds disgusting but it was just bacon and eggs on top a crispy crust. Miam-miam!
Instead I got just eggs over-easy with toast. *Note the jar of home-made strawberry jam dangerously left on the table...ahem
They do still have my favorite cookie and the price has not changed. Yay. I show great restraint and get just one.
I am not the slightest bit tempted by these whoopie pies - if only London bakers knew about the General Store in Owls Head they would be rushing here...
I admire the local brew of blueberry and raspberry jams, but somehow or other I resist. It's just the first day of my week in Maine. Plenty of time to indulge...
Lunch is simply a peanutbutter sandwich. I'm saving myself for dinner. A bunch of us arty girls leave painting class early to go off to an opening somewhere or other near Boothbay. We get lost, Maine signage not being all it could be...
Later we end up at a tres authentic local eatery. OK a rather shack-like joint that Pam remembers has terrific crab rolls. And yes it is still there since she went just a week ago. YAY!
We park ourselves on la terrace and enjoy the scenic view of the draw bridge etc.
The crab roll is everything we dreamed it would be. Tons of fresh crab piled on toasted hot dog buns. And again, very easy on the Mayo. 'Chips' come with it. There is a heaven on earth. I order an extra slaw, remembering to get my much needed daily 4-5 veggies up here. Do chips count as a veggie?
We go off to another local joint for dessert. And let's face it really, can Moody's Diner on route 1 be topped?
They have been baking lemon meringue pies to beat the band since 1927, When I spotted these mashed numbers on sale for $1.50, I said we had to try it. It tasted very mashed...
My rhubarb-strawberry pie a la mode with Round Top Ice Cream was out of this world divine. Extremely tart and combined with the vanilla ice cream...well words cannot do it justice. And Round Top ice cream has to be the best there is. No question hands down. Super creamy in an old-fashioned way.
Pam ate up her coconut cream pie without saying a word.
Alison and Margaret 'shared' a portion of raspberry pie a la mode. This is what a HALF! portion looks like. It has to be the very best pie on the planet. Oh why did I not get the raspberry? Please do get it and think of me when you pop into Moody's.
Moody's is the perfect end to a perfect Maine day.
Enjoy your breakfast. I hope it's a breakfast pizza...
More to come on painting in Maine
BONJOUR MAINE EATS!!

Search This Blog