Resolutions and Green Smoothies

 So we're back in the kitchen for some fun, games and catastrophes...
 Natch, like you I spent the New Year's holiday repenting December's marshmallows and gingerbread. After watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead I was ready to turn a new page. I rejoined my pool (after a 4 month hiatus), ordered a new suit on Amazon (it has to stretch and I have to shrink) and decided to make Green Smoothies!
 Luckily I have a terrific niece-chef-author, Luisa Shafia of Lucid Food who has the easiest Green smoothie recipe out there - no Breville juicer required! Just a blender.
 This is my first smoothie ever and I gotta say this is not bad at all. In fact it's darn good! I'm hoping/praying one a day will put me in fighting shape for Paris pastries come March. Try it. You'll like it :)
 With the leftover kale I made kale chips. These do not taste like potato chips IMHO but maybe I'll adjust...ahem
 Why are the streets of Paris paved with fabulous bread but I can't find anything I like in NYC?
 I read about Scandinavian Brodmix Flerkorn you can make in a box at Ikea Brooklyn and ran to get some.
 It took enormous will power to resist Ikea's gingerbread cookies (on sale too).
 And Swedish fish! miam miam
 I did succombe to Ikea's smoked salmon. miam miam
 Yesterday I did hand-to-hand baking combat with the brodmix. Basically you toss 2 1/2 cups water (20 oz.) into the box and shake violently. Then toss into a baking tin. Let ferment 45+ minutes.
 I threw in extra seeds for more grit...
 Bake for 1 hour at 400 degrees in a well-greased pan.
 The bread tastes delicious and is supremely grainy and nutty the way I like it.
I just can't get the damn stuff out of the pan! I need an electric drill to remove it.
Any suggestions PBers are most welcome.
Happy New Year's Resolutions to you too!

Search This Blog