Citron Meringuee Deconstructed

Don't think for one second since I'm showing you a list of ingredients I'm about to start baking citron tartes meringuees EVER.

Beaten eggwhites/meringue and I have parted company permanently...

Even so I tried to taste, shoot or eat a citron tarte meringuee almost daily last trip in Paris.

My expertise has risen quite a few notches. This version from Monop is one you can pass up without remorse. Lackluster and not lemony enough. Plus the meringue lacked structure (it was mushy) and panache (whatever that is..). Still the high crust is an interesting innovation and merits 1*.

Tres chic MIYOU's version at La Bon Marche was much more lemony but the meringue again was too mushy.

In the end, after two weeks of intensive research, I must sadly conclude that we're dealing with a tarte au citron i.e. a lemon curd pie plus a dollop of meringue of varying sizes. In some cases this is can be a mere smidge of meringue.

No doubt the citron meringuee is 'in' right now in Paris. I saw it everywhere.

But how different is this from ordering a plain bagel?


Or a bagel with a 'schmear'?

Sorry that's how I see it PBers.

I suggest you pick up this tarte-shaped cookbook at BHV(9.90 euros) and get cracking on the lemon tarte and call it a day. Making a good meringue can be hellish.

Now this tarte can be called meringuee in my opinion.

Le Loir dan la Theiere is another true source and I missed it.

I must go back!

Le Loir dans la Theiere, watercolor, 9" x 11"

Here's another miss at CDG airport by the way.



Perhaps the best solution of all: a French citron meringuee candle from Comptoir de Famille - no calories.


BONJOUR CITRON MERINGUEE!

Search This Blog