Le Quartier Japonais

Japanese pastry watercolor by Carol GillottCreme Bavarois Fraise Japonais, watercolor, 9" x 11"
Japanese pastry by Carol GillottCreme Bavarois Japonais, watercolor, 9" x 11"
I recently got a copy of Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris - I've been reading it non-stop even while walking in the street...
If anyone knows Paris' food, native Clotilde Dusoulier of the famed blog, Chocolate and Zuccini does and it's great fun to follow Clotilde into the patisseries, restaurants and marche wherever she goes and learn from her experiences. I opened the book to a section on Le Quartier Japonais (p.18) and was reminded...
Of my walk up rue Sainte-Anne with French Girl one Friday night...
I'm sure you're thinking I am NOT going to Paris to eat Japanese food! But rue Sainte-Anne is lined with affordable, fun restaurants and the streets are filled with young French people out for a good time for little $.

We went to Restaurant Aki (not on Clotilde's list) but I'd seen the bowls of Soba noodles on Flickr and was salivating for something other than pastry...
Restaurant Aki We sat at the bar and could watch...

The chef throw together dishes faster then I don't know what?
Plus we could watch the scene downstairs on his giant screen...
I was chastized by Fr Girl for getting a boring salad but I LOVE the orangie carrot-ginger-sesame dressing even if it is on iceberg lettuce...

Fr Girl got more the interesting seaweed salad and eggplant thing + miso soup.
And then Aki's prized dish, Okonomiyaki omlette - maybe she ordered too much..ahem
And I had the fab Soba noodle soup - I wouldn't mind a bowl right now. Don't hesitate to eat Japanese on rue Sainte-Anne if you'd want to give your palate a rest and do take Clotilde's guide with you. It's the right size for travel and fine for a bit of armchair traveling.
BON WEEK-END et
BONJOUR LE QUARTIER JAPONAIS!

Search This Blog