Guy Martin, Portrait of a Grand Chef

Financier Pastry by Carol Gillott Fruit de la Passion et la Fraise, watercolor, 9" x 11"
Financier Pastry I've always wanted to sketch pastries in rows - that's how you see then in most patisseries...
Then I dug out this wonderful cake sketch of Wayne Thiebaud's et voila!
It's an absolute that artists sketch out their ideas before painting. Many pastry chefs, Japanese or otherwise, also sketch before baking their creations.
But who knew Michelin 3-star Parisian chefs sketch as well?
I watched a fascinating documentary on Guy Martin yesterday.
Chef Guy Martin earned his bones not in any culinary school or by doing stages, but on his own cooking in several country chateaux in the Savoy region. He was then invited to cook in one of Paris' grandest restaurants, Le Grand Vefour and won his third star. I've looked in the window and admired the menu, but that's it.


Chef Martin hangs out with artists in his spare time for inspiration...


Then back in the kitchen, he sketches out his ideas like this 'red' ratatouille. Quelle surpris!


Another intriguing thing about chef Martin - he invites French school children in gratis for special lunches to educate their palates. What lucky ducks!


Photo by Merisi Photo by Merisi

I'm a lucky duck because Merisi of Vienna for Beginners told me I should get an electric knife to cut cleanly through my 'pastry models'. I'm waiting for it to arrive...

Hurry up Amazon...


BONJOUR GUY MARTIN, Chef-Sketcher!

Search This Blog