Macarons in Venice

Venice gondola No, I did not take a gondola ride in Venice... Macaron Boxes, art on Etsy, 9" x 11'

~

Nor did I find French style macarons...well not exactly. You'd think I'd be content with all the Tiramisu floating around Venice but my tastebuds are not creamy-inclined... These giant hazelnut-smothered cookies looked lethal to me, perhaps even weapon-like..? A massive meringue cake filled with vanilla cream with more cream on the side to drap over it - no way! In a pinch, one could settle for the ropes and ropes of liquirizia/liqurice lining the calle/streets of Venice... In desperation, I bought a Venetian guidebook to help me find local pastries - there are at least 22 listed: balcoli, bussolai ciosotri, castagnole, colombina, crema frita, curasan etc., etc. Rosa Salva is one of Venice's oldest, most revered pasticcerias in sestiere San Marco, 951, Calle Fiubera. It's a cafe as well so you can stop in for a coffee with your cantucci... But I was not tempted... At last I broke down and gobbled an unpronouncable sfogliatelle - a Naples specialty. Maybe I sucumbed because these are in my neighborhood in Astoria? And maybe because these are crispy?
Look! Little Nutella tartelettes. What's wrong with these you ask? Are you saying to yourselves, "picky...picky?"


All from pasticceria Toletta in sestiere Dorsodura, 1192, calle della Toletta, mentioned in the guide...

Parisien pastry As a so-called Paris pastry (painter)expert have I been ruined for the treats of the rest of the planet? I think I have.




I do love Italian Macedonia de fruita (basically an improved version of our 'fruitcup').

And there's ALWAYS gelato for dessert. No wonder I was reduced to going on The Gelato Dieta in Venice.



And there ARE plenty of dogs in Venice (more to come on them). So what's YOUR favorite Venetian dessert? Do tell all PBers!!


I did find mini macarons at Toletta my last day in Venice...

By then I'd given up hope and missed out tasting them. They're cleverly sitting in little caissette plissee/paper cups and the cream filling inside is decoratively squiggled. At least I got this photo in passing... I'll just have to return to Venice to taste them. c'est la vie.


BUON GIORNO MACARONS IN VENEZIA

Search This Blog