The Artichokes of Venice

Visiting Venice's Rialto mercato is a must-do... Especially if you adore artichokes... Excuse me, 'carciofi'. These mini versions are 'carciofini' in season only in March... A must-eat wherever you go
In Bologna at Tamburini could I resist this salad of artichoke hearts, prosciutto and rocket?
And though my tray was bursting (Tamburini is self-service)
Could I resist the grilled artichokes? Someone is a greedy guts...ahem
Look! An Italian hound is straining at the leash to chomp on those artichokes across the way. Ah a kindred spirit...
An exquisite bit of Fortuny velvet from Venetia Studium would be perfecto to carry your artichoke around in would it not?
Artichokes turn up hither and thither in still life paintings though I've yet to try my hand at them...
They turn up aplenty in Donna Leon's, Brunetti's Cookbook, including snippets from her mystery novels. You can hear her mention artichokes right off the bat in this BBC interview.
I always have a slew of artichokes in the fridge. Simply cut off the tops a bit and the bottom of course, sprinkle with lemon juice and some lemon zest using my much adored new microplane. Then nuke one at a time for 3 1/2 - 4+ minutes depending on the size. Simple but delightful when you're addicted to artichokes.
BUON GIORNO ARTICHOKES of VENEZIA!

Search This Blog