Musée Marmottan Monet

My Paris plan was to go places I hadn't visited before. Getting into the Monet retrospective at the Grand Palais was next to impossible until mid-December. So off I went to the Musée Marmottan Monet In the 16th (pronounced says-e-M [not seizes-e-M 6th arr.] my second cousin reminded me over and over.
2, rue Louis Bouilly
Metro:La Muette
I rarely go to the 16th so it was an adventure.
The musee Marmottan is a rather grand setting and perfect for Monet's paintings.
How au courant to have 'catty patterned' upholstery.
Not nearly as crowded as the Grand Palais exhibit either.
And one can soak up the 19th century atmosphere in these exquisite salons.
I loved this soft portrait by Monet's friend, Berthe Morisot of Julie Manet and her greyhound.
Monet's portrait of his long suffering wife Camille.
She endured years of penury and endless posing for Monet.
I was surprised how loose Monet's drawings were and like his painted brush marks.
Monet adored London smog and painted out the window of his room at the Savoy. Wonderfully casual sketches of London's houses of Parliment.
Foggy London was made for Monet.
Loose sketch of the interior of Gare Saint-Lazare in Paris.
Who knew Claude Monet, at age 15 earned his keep drawing charicatures of his teachers at school? There's a room full of them at the Marmottan.
Of course the Marmottan gift shop is not to be missed, along with the serious tomes are many artsy tchochtkas as only the French can do them. Hmmm
The grounds are quite serene but I don't think you can 'dejeuner sur l'herbe' here.
Do not miss this small select Monet exhibit if you're going to be in Paris...
And if you're going to be in Philadelphia tomorrow evening, PLEASE drop by my opening at the Alliance Francaise
6:30 - 8:30 PM
1420 Walnut Street - suite 700
Mad MacNYC macarons will be served up +
Paris Facade watercolors by yours truly.
BONJOUR EXPOS!

Search This Blog