French Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Another French bone of contention today. I got steamed up over the weekend after reading Raids-Patisserie's evaluation of the best chocolate chip cookies in Paris(!?) You're looking at a Laura Todd 'classique' (burp) chocolat noir here.. Here's your basic New York chocolate chip($3.) from City Bakery. OK maybe the sugar is too carmelized etc. but the texture and surface is day and night from those Frenchie chocolate chips.
How could it be otherwise, when the flour, water, eggs, bla, bla, bla are completement different. Even the altitude counts I was told in France. Not to mention the chocolate...ahem

These sad looking samples were being sold dans le rue in Montmartre...
Chocolate Chip CookiesFor a celebration of terroir/regional products. OUCH
I know the French love new trends and maybe choc-chip cookies are 'cool', but I'm very chauvinistic about these. Disclosure: I'm not a chocolate chip cookie connosisseur. I'll eat a chocolate-chocolate chip before I go for the classic. My fav is at Cafe Petrossian but they were cleaned out by 2 pm on Saturday (and they're a FRENCH cafe). Even mass-market Whole Foods cookies look better than the Fr samples. Wish I'd gotten the pumpkin-walnut...
Chocolate Chip Cookies Union Sq. Farmers Market gets them right.
Chocolate Chip Cookies Laura Todd is a huge very clever chain that introduced choc chips to France. I broil when I see their stands at the salon du chocolat or Galeries Lafayette Gourmet. Grrrrr
Chocolate Chip Cookies HMPH
Did you know New York cheese cake is big in Paris?
Chocolate Chip Cookies Fortunately our pound cake (or is it British) they will never get but that's another post...
Why the French can't be satisfied making the most seductive pastry on the planet..
Chocolate Chip Cookies Is beyond me...
Chocolate Chip CookiesPhoto by Robyn Lee
If you want to know the 10 best choc chip cookies in New York here's a list from Serious Eats.
Au Revoir French Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Search This Blog