Picasso and Francoise Gilot

 Silhouettes were following me yesterday.
I fell into the Picasso and Francoise Gilot:Paris - Vallauris, 1943-1953 exhibit at Gagosian Gallery 980 Madison Ave.
 A big collection of gorgeous old photos, paintings, drawings, prints by both Picasso and Gilot.
 Gilot was just 21 at the time she met Picasso
 What a beauty as well as an accomplished artist.
Gilot on Charlie Rose.
 It's easy to see how she captivated Picasso.
 Her balanced classic features are perfection.
 Perfect to distort as well...
 Many, many multiple portraits of Gilot in the show.
 Two big floors of artwork.
 Some of the photos of Gilot by Edwin Quinn are so arresting. Quinn lived and worked as a photographer from the 1950s, on the Côte d'Azur, during the "golden fifties" the playground of the celebrities from the world of show biz, art and business.
 Don't you love to see artists at work? Read Gillot's Life with Picasso for her view of it all.
 I was on the upper East Side to see a preview of Elsworth Kelly early plant drawings at the Met. These are like silhouettes as well - positive/negative beautiful shapes.
 It's easy to see how these early 60's drawings led to his later more abstract shapes.
 Kelly is a master shape-maker.
If you love drawings don't miss this.
It opens today.
 Back to the Picasso-Gilot exhibit. Many of the paintings-drawings are of children, my current obsession probably thanks to Bringing Up Bebe, I am now painting up les bebes...
 I loved this drawing Francoise Gilot's made of her son, Claude sleeping curled up on a table...
 It made me feel bold enough to put up my drawing of Lillie.
I'll need to paint a lot of bebes if I am to move to France..
Let me know if you're interested.
I'll end with this silhouette in La Maison du Chocolat's window seen yesterday. I don't think this is edible...

Search This Blog